It was started from 2018-19 sessions with a vision to promote advanced research and academics on global platform for grooming post graduate engineers capable of designing and developing mechatronics systems useful for mankind. It is interdisciplinary program having students from different engineering backgrounds like Mechanical, Electrical, Electronics and even Computer Science & Engineering. The program is AICTE approved and currently offers a total of 18 seats per batch for M.Tech. Moreover, program promotes advanced research through full time PhD candidates. The Mechatronics program promotes high quality research work that gets published in SCI and SCOPUS indexed journals and conferences.
Course Offered: 2 years M.Tech and Full time PhD
1. Industrial Robotics
2. Industrial Automation
3. Internet of Things
4. Artificial Intelligence
5. Microcontrollers and embedded systems
6. MEMS and NEMS
7. Sensors and Actuators
8. Rapid Prototyping
9. Signal Processing
The current era is using smart technologies for various applications like automation in plants, navigation, precise control, robotics, smart sensors, IOT, flying cars, defense, drones and fast communication. In these applications, both strength and control is required for efficient systems. Mechatronics is capable to produce such systems and acts like a bridge between various disciplines of engineering.
1. It is an interdisciplinary program and combines knowledge of various specializations like Computer Science and Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Electronics Engineering, Telecommunications and Electrical Engineering.
2. The program offers research in various areas of robotics ranging from Kinematics, Dynamics and Design, Motion Planning of robotic systems, Intelligent Navigation and Control, AI, Machine learning, Computer Vision, etc.
3. The program aims to make post graduate engineers capable of designing and developing mechatronics systems useful for mankind.
4. The program provides reach to well equipped labs and research facilities for robotics, sensors and actuators, PLC and SCADA, design and simulation.
5. The program also offers summer training, short term courses and workshops for students, teachers and researchers.
6. The program allows choosing thesis project under supervision of professors of any other reputed institutes like IITs and NITs.
7. All faculties in this program are from various IITs and NITs like reputed institutions.
An advanced state of the art Industrial Robotic Center is established in the institute by KUKA India Private Limited (A German Company). The robotic center has three robotic cells: 1. Material handling Cell 2. MIG welding Cell 3. Bare robotic cell
The KUKA robots facility is used to understand and train basic concepts of robot programming, motion planning, and programming methodology of robotic systems, performing research-oriented specific tasks including pick and place job.
MIG welding cell is the Bare robot which research students mainly use to learn, implement and test their new ideas, methods, and techniques using robotic systems.
The purpose of Bare robotic cell is is to use the arm for the testing and analysis of the systems developed by the students. The students can develop their own automation systems which can be tested in this cell. The robotic manipulator can be customized as per the systems designed and developed by the students
Design and Simulation Center
This lab consists of 18 high end specifications computer systems (32 GB high speed RAM, 4 GB dedicated Graphics card and high-performance multicore intel processor.) with latest design and simulation software like SolidWorks, ANSYS, and MATLAB etc, which enables the students to simulate various complex designs related to their work. This lab is integrated with 3D printing lab so as to design and develop the prototypes for testing.
Application areas of ANSYS: • Antenna Design and Placement • Autonomous Sensor Development • Avionics and Flight Control • Electric Motors • Electronics Reliability • E-Motor NVH and Active Sound Design for EV • Gas Turbines • Hypersonics • PCBs, ICs and IC Packages • Power Electronics • Rotating Machinery • Vehicle Chassis • Wind Turbine Design
Application areas of SolidWorks: • 3D Model Design (CAD) • Assembly of Parts • Analysis of Part (CAE) • Making 2D Drawings • Making (CAM) Programming (CNC Machining) • Making Additive Manufacturing (AM) (3D Printing)
Application Areas of MATLAB: • Automated Driving Systems • Control Systems • Data Science • Deep Learning • Embedded Systems • Enterprise and IT Systems • Image Processing and Computer Vision • Internet of Things • Machine Learning • Mechatronics • Power Systems Analysis and Design • Robotics • Signal Processing • Wireless Communications
Sensor Drives & Control Lab
Students in the Mechatronics program come from different backgrounds like Mechanical, Electrical, Electronics, and Computer Science & Engineering. This lab is fundamental lab which makes them to understand the working and usage of different types of sensors, controllers and drives.
Students are taught about the working principle and sensors usability in different embedded systems. They are also trained to develop their own sensors according to the requirement of system and project they want to develop.
Students are trained about the working principle and actuators usability in different automation and embedded systems. They are also trained to develop their own actuation system according to their requirements in different project and automation system.
Starting from semiconductor, Diode, transistors, Logic Gate, the students are trained to program different microcontrollers using different high level language like- C++, Python, Matlab etc. so that they can have the capacity and competence to develop different smart system of their own for the service and benefit of human society.
Internet of Things (IoT) Lab
The IoT Lab is based on SENSEnuts technology that uniquely offers full technology stack with application layer, wireless network & cloud connectivity protocols for rapid IoT prototyping and also end to end vertical applications. It is Microcontroller with integrated 802.15.4 transceiver and variety of sensors like Environment, Meteorological, Air & water quality etc. It also has features like modular design having Gateways, Radios & sensors devices Self-healing multi-hop network, easy to install and faster deployment It gives affordable solution for WSN concept testing and learning. It is easy to use because of C based programming, exhaustive set of “easy to use” APIs, flexible MAC protocol implementation, live data Interface with MATLAB etc.
An ideal platform for research projects. It has many advanced features to offer like energy efficient individual StreetLight Controllers which enable remote On/Off switching, dimming control, User configurable time scheduling & grouping schemes, Current/power consumption tracking of luminaire, Alerts for outage & malfunction, connectivity to Local or Cloud Server for data access and management and finally interfaces for Sensors like Motion detection, Pollution, light etc.
- PhD from Indian Institute of Technology (ISM), Dhanbad.
- M. Tech U.P. Technical University, Lucknow.
- B.E. from Chaudhary Charan Singh University, Meerut, UP Research Interests
Soft robotics, Bio Inspired robotics, Metal cutting operations, Electrical discharge machining, Machining tribology, MQL Machining, Nano-cutting fluids, Thermocouples for machining,
Proposed Research Problems
1. Generation of machined surface with improved surface quality using mono/hybrid nanoparticle based cutting fluids in Turning operation
2. Generation of machined surface with improved surface quality using mono/hybrid nanoparticle based cutting fluids in Milling operation
3. Metallic additive manufacturing using robotic manipulator
4. Design and development of robotic fish for data collection in a water body
5. Development of Bio inspired sensors for robot navigation and communication
Top 5 Publications
1. Sharma, A.K., Tiwari, A.K., Dixit, A.R. The International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology. 2017. (Impact Factor 2.209)
2. Sharma, A.K., Singh, R.K., Dixit, A.R., Tiwari, A.K.. Tribology International, 2018, 119 pp. 99–111. (Impact Factor 2.903)
3. Sharma, A.K., Tiwari, A.K., Dixit, A.R. Renewable & Sustainable Energy Reviews, 2016, 53, pp. 779-791. Publisher: Elsevier Science. (Impact Factor 8.050)
4. Sharma, A.K., Tiwari, A.K., Dixit, A.R. Journal of Cleaner Production, 2016, 127, pp. 1-18. Publisher: Elsevier Science. (Impact Factor 5.715)
5. Singh, R.K., Sharma, A.K., Dixit, A.R, Tiwari, A.K., Pramanik, A., Mandal, A. Journal of Cleaner Production, 2017, 162, pp. 830-845. Publisher: Elsevier Science. (Impact Factor 5.715)
For details of publications please click here Funded Projects 1.Development of thermal sensors for measuring the tool tip temperature its online monitoring, AKTU Under “Visvesvaraya Research Promotion Scheme (VRPS)”
2.Design and fabrication of human hand inspired soft robotic hand for differently-abled persons, Collaborative Research and Innovation Program (CRIP) under AKTU, Lucknow and TEQIP-III, MHRD, Govt. of India,
3.Computational fluid dynamics CFD analysis for designing of ore transportation through pipelines, Collaborative Research and Innovation Program (CRIP) under AKTU, Lucknow and TEQIP-III, MHRD, Govt. of India.
4. Development of sustainable hybrid nano-lubricant with improved tribological properties for green machining, SERB (statutory body of DST Govt. of India
Patents 1. “System and method for sanitizing currency note(s)” Application number: 202011035026 Dated. 14.08.2020, Status: Published with no. E-12/948/2020/DEL and under examination.
2.“The rapid multipurpose Disinfector” Application number: 202011037517 Dated. 31.08.2020, Status: Applied and under examination
3.“Oxygen monitoring & control, Multi-Functional convertible Robot for hospitals”. Filed and waiting for application number
4.“ITPI- steel and mining waste management: intelligent technology and process management for steel industry and mining waste”. Application number: 202011047142 Dated. 29.10.2020, Status: Applied and under examination.
Innovations Student Projects (Completed) Abhishek Kaushal: Development of swarm robotics system and it's applications.
Himanshu Srivastava: A Novel Technique for luggage sorting at the Airport using Robotic System
Juwairiya Siraj Khan : Design and control of a human inspired compliant hand
Neha Mohanta: Development of Temperature Measurement System useful in Tool Condition Monitoring for Turning Operation
Amit Gupta: Reactive power planning using swarm evolutionary techniques
Ravi Shanker Tiwari: Effect of MQL using hybrid (Al2O3 + Graphene) nano fluid in milling of aluminium 6061 alloy.
Avinash Bhashkar: Design and development of low cost 3D printed QDD robotic leg and terrain analysis using proprioception.
Deepak Chandra Joshi:Designing of Trans-radial Prosthetic Hand for Amputee Person
Mohammad Ilyas: Prediction of temperature of Tungsten carbide cutting tool in turning operation using CFD
Sudhir Kumar Rajput: Design and Development of 3D printed adaptive gripper based on shape memory alloys.
Prameet vats: Optimization of machining parameters in MQL turning of 1040 steel using hybrid MCDM techniques.
Tushar Singh: An investigation on the performance of cutting fluid in turning of AISI 316 steel for sustainable machining.
Student Projects (Ongoing) Ajeet Kumar: Coordination in multi robot system using artificial pheromones
Anurag Tripathi:- Satyam Gupta: Ultrasonic communication in multi robot system for coordination and control
Shiva Pandey: Shubham Rai : Robustness of multi robot system
Prashant Kumar Prasad: Satyendra Kumar Shukla: Abhishek Shukla: Optimization of MQL parameters for different cutting fluids
Ajay Singh: Thermal Modelling of cutting tool in MQL turning using CFD
Gaurav Sharma: Machining of ASI 304 steel using hybrid nano fluid using enrich cutting fluid
Manoj Kumar Gupta: Prediction of cutting forces by machine learning approach.
Piyush Singh: Analysis of tool wear and chip morphology in different machining environments
Pramod Kumar Nishad: An investigation on the performance of graphene nanofluid in milling operation
Ratnakar Yadav: Tribological investigation \ behaviour of nano fluid and hybrid nano fluid
Sarthak Singh: Investigation on wettability characterstics of nanofluid
Sudhanshu Maurya: Machining of super alloys using electric discharge machining
Vishal Kumar: Prediction of surface roughness and tool wear by machine learning approach.
-Ph.D. IIT BHU Varanasi.
- M.Tech. IIT BHU Varanasi.
- B.Tech. MMMUT Gorakahpur. Research Interests
Corrosion Prevention of Metals using waste materials, Metal Matrix composites and Thin Film coatings, Wear prevention of metals, Bio-Sensors Proposed Research Problems
1. Use of waste natural materials in corrosion prevention of metals.
2. Thin film produced by floating film transfer method (FFTM) for corrosion prevention.
3. Investigation of corrosion and tribological behaviour of various protective coatings/polymer composites.
4. Image based corrosion detection using machine learning principles
5. Biosensors for technical applications
Top 5 Publications
1. G Ji, P Dwivedi, S Sundaram, R Prakash; Corrosion Science, 2015, 90,107-117.(I.F.- 7.205)
2. S. Pal, H. Lagaz, III-ming Chung, G. JI, R. Prakash, J. Moleq. Liq., 2020, 316, 113797 (I.F.-6.165)
3. M. Srivastava, S.K. Srivastava, Nikhil, G. Ji, , R. Prakash, Int. J. Bio. M.., 2019, 140, 177-187. (I.F.-6.953)
4. S. Pal, H. Lagaz, P. Tiwari, III-ming Chung, G. JI, R. Prakash, J. Moleq. Liq., 2019,276, 347-361 (I.F.-6.165)
5. R Pandey, R Misra, G. Ji, R prakash, Nature Scientific reports, 2019, 9, 13488. (I.F.-4.37)
For details of publications please click here Student Projects (Completed) Ankit Srivastava: Detection of Corrosion in Metals based on Image Analysis by Computer Vision Methods. Nitin Singh: Computer vision based collision warning system for two wheelers Shubham Kumar Singh: Investigation on Corrosion and Wear Properties of Stir Cast Alumnium (6061) Based Metal Matrix Composites. Shubham Maurya: Design and fabrication of a semi- automatic device for controlled discharge of liquid corrosion Inhibitor. Chandra Shekhar : Fabrication of a small device for qualitative measurement of low carbon steel corrosion in chloride medium Nitesh Kumar: Automation of Film Transfer Process in Floating Film Transfer Methods Vivek Porwal: Colocasia Esculenta (Arbi Leaves) Extracts for Corrosion Prevention of Low Carbon Steel in Chloride Medium Manisha Singh Chauhan: Application of waste natural material for corrosion inhibition of low carbon steel in NaCl solution Student Projects (Ongoing) Km Vikasika Verma: Corrosion prevention of Electronic material by coating and waste natural material Pragati Srivastava: Biomolecule sensing for technical application Sarvagya Shukla: Design and Development of Biosensor for Technical applications. Shubham Johari: corrosion detection using machine learning approach Vinit Jha: FFTM Coating of lotus leave on Cu substrate for its corrosion prevention Rajul Sharma: Drop coating and spin coating of Leather dye and Amarbel leaves on Cu substrates and comparative study of their corrosion performance.
-Ph.D. in Power Electronics from Indian Institute of Technology Delhi, India ( Ph.D. thesis submitted).
M.Tech. in Power Electronics from IIT(BHU) Varanasi, India.
B.Tech. in Electronics & Instrumentation Engineering from UPTU Lucknow, India.
. Area of Interest :
1. Power Electronics
2. Digital Electronics
3. Power Supply Design for Electric Vehicles and Space-Crafts
4. Integration of renewable energy sources
5. Microcontroller and FPGA based Digital Control Design
Mr. Varun Chitransh has submitted his PhD thesis at IIT Delhi in the area of 'MULTI-FREQUENCY POWER CONVERSION TOPOLOGIES FOR AC-PLUS-DC GRID'. He worked as a team member under the joint India-Netherlands research project on Renewal Energy Integration in Smart Grid as part of his PhD thesis work. He also worked as Senior Research Fellow at IIT BHU Varanasi. He worked as Assistant Professor at Shree Ramswaroop Memorial University, Uttar Pradesh. His area of interest includes Power Electronics, Instrumentation and Control Engineering.